Now Hiring: Parish Sexton
St Peter & St Paul’s Anglican Church in downtown Ottawa is looking to hire a parish sexton, which is a paid, part-time position. The sexton is responsible for the cleaning and upkeep of the church building and grounds. The position includes extensive cleaning duties, light maintenance duties, minor repairs to the church building and furniture, keeping the grounds inviting, setting up rooms and making coffee and tea for various events.
- A knowledge of and skill in cleaning procedures and processes, products and equipment
- A desire to keep things clean and tidy
- Knowledge of basic building maintenance
- Ability to perform basic repairs and safely use the tools to do so
- Demonstrated awareness of surroundings and the ability to follow through on what needs to be done, solving problems that need to be addressed as they relate to the building and property
- Physical ability to safely lift and carry items up to 50 pounds; work from a tall ladder; kneel, squat, and stand to perform duties
- Ability to work independently and be proactive with minimal to moderate supervision
- Ability to work well with others, maintain a positive attitude, be a team player, and to treat staff, parishioners, and visitors with kindness and respect
- Punctuality and a good work ethic
- Willingness to be flexible and to work with changing circumstances
- Security experience a plus, but not required
Cleaning duties include sweeping, vacuuming, mopping of floors and stairs; shampooing, stripping and waxing of floors as needed; washing windows and baseboards; managing trash and recycling; and thorough and regular cleaning of washrooms.
Building maintenance includes keeping washrooms and kitchen stocked with disposable supplies, changing of batteries and light bulbs, updating clocks, changing filters, painting, maintaining exterior flags, making minor repairs, and responding to simple plumbing issues.
Maintenance of the building also includes maintaining contact with outside vendors such as our cleaning supply company, boiler service provider, snow removal service, fire extinguisher provider, and exterminator.
Grounds maintenance includes shovelling snow, scattering salt, cleaning up litter and debris, mowing the grass, and identifying potential security concerns.
The parish sexton works 25 hours per week, Monday through Friday, ideally from 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM with two half-hour breaks or one 1-hour break.
If you are interested in applying for the sexton position at St Peter & St Paul’s, please click on the button below and fill out an online application. We also invite you to e-mail a letter of interest and your resume to email@example.com. Please do not contact the parish directly. We will contact job candidates directly if and when we are interested in following up. Thank you for your interest.